Tuesday, July 21, 2015

563. Enter the Dragon

Enter the Dragon
1973
Directed by Robert Clouse









I absolutely love martial arts movies, so I was surprised I hadn't seen this already.  I am not sure why I love these films so much but hate boxing movies.  I guess I prefer sweaty, athletic Asian men to sweaty, less athletic Italian American men.  It's a personal choice.

Lee receives an invitation to attend a special martial arts tournament, hosted by the mysterious Mr. Han.  Han is supposedly involved in drug trafficking and prostitution.  Also, one of his bodyguards was involved in the death of Lee's sister.  So he is all around swell guy.  Lee proceeds to punch the criminal out of every guy he meets.

So like I said, I love this movie.  I am not sure I could adequately defend it, though, against its critics.  There is really not much to it, and if you don't enjoy witnessing Lee kicking things, you are going to be pretty bored.  I, however, find him fascinating.

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

Over 8,000 mirrors were used in the Hall of Mirrors scene.

Last film of Bruce Lee before his death.

Jackie Chan appears several times within the film and was accidentally struck in the face by a fighting stick by Bruce Lee.

7 comments:

  1. I will certainly give you that the skill, fitness, athetisism , coreoraphy etc of this (and similar films) is very impressive. Much more so than boxing movies. But I'm afraid when it comes down to it, it is still peopl hitting, kickig the crap out of each other, and I just find it boring.
    So I was glad to see this film .. and maybe a few others, and I most certainly value their place in the book.. but they are just not my thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This movie has problems. I don't care. This movie is very entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree Larry! And Ray I guessed you wouldn't love this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't like it and got tired of the violence. Why was I watching it? It was on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Diana...As I said, I have to admirethe making .. but, yes, I just got tired of the violence for the sake of hitting someone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with both of you. I guess for me, as far as violent movies on the List goes, this was pretty tame. At least none of it was sexual.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are on the same page here, Amanda. It was a joy to watch Lee kicking and his way through a million henchmen. I lave his strange sounds and facial expressions.

    ReplyDelete