Tuesday, December 23, 2014

515. Ucho

Ucho
The Ear
1970
Directed by Karel Kachyna











Here we have the Czechoslovakian version of Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?.  I know, I know: the long wait is finally over.

An unhappy married couple find that their house has been broken into after attending a political event.   They proceed to bicker quite intensely, enough that I would be running for the window if I was in their presence.  So this was just as awkward as Virginia Woolf, but at least this film has some political commentary.  It was nice to get something out of this besides palm sweat and anxiety.

I did enjoy this film, despite the secondhand embarrassment it offered.  I don't want to give too much away, but I love how the director at times made us feel like we were watching a horror film.  And honestly, what's scarier than having your marriage fall apart while you are under surveillance by Soviet forces?  Think of the secondhand embarrassment that the Soviets must have experienced listening to their wiretaps.

RATING: ***--

Interesting Facts:

First released in 1989.






4 comments:

  1. I quite liked this one. OK, it's not a 'Wow, I really had a fun time this evening watching it'.. but I'd rate it as a good film, well worth a watch, and deserving of it's place.
    Count it as 'Glad the book made me watch it, it will remain in the memory'
    .
    Yes, I also find these 'couples screaming at each other' .. such as Who's afraid of.. films a bit hard.. but then there are an awful lot of other things people do that I don't like seeing portrayed on films... (people being tortured, rape, old women grooming young girls, Nuns singing).

    Anyway, excuse me, I'm about to go away for a couple of nights.. Not working this Christmas, but a large group coming in new Year

    Have yourself a decent Christmas..and have fun joining the crush to see 'The Interview'.. or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As usual, excellent and entertaining review! Thanks and happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Think what this movie could have been without the screaming? That woman was really grating on me. Otherwise a very gutsy movie about being under surveillance by the secret police.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not clear to me how they weren't all shot for making this

    Like Ray says though, good film, glad I watched it

    ReplyDelete