Sunday, January 29, 2012

125. Only Angels Have Wings

Only Angels Have Wings
1939
Directed by Howard Hawks

Disclaimer: I am not a big fan of flying films.  Top Gun was just atrocious.  I am trying to think of other flying films that I have seen.  Does The Aviator count?  Because that was as boring as Napoleon.

Like in most 1939 films, the acting is incredible, with Jean Arthur and Cary Grant having palpable chemistry.  The story is about a group of fliers.  Each one has a really interesting back story which makes this more of an ensemble film than one that just centers around the famous couple.  This is also an effective technique because you actually care about what happens to the characters.

Pretty amazing airplane scenes, even for me.  Check it out!

RATING: ****-


Interesting Facts:

"I am hard to get, Geoff, all you have to do is ask me."  Great line, one that was later used in To Have and Have Not.

Richard Barthelmess also was in Broken Blossoms.

Trailer:



2 comments:

  1. Yeah, the great thing is that you are realy interested in the people, the setting, the motives and the action. A very engaging movie. Good call.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was watching thinking "This would make a good TV series. Quick trip to Wikipedia afterwards tells me that it was (many years later) turned into a TV series.

    ReplyDelete