Monday, January 23, 2012

118. Bringing Up Baby

Bringing Up Baby
1938
Directed by Howard Hawks

This is another film that I saw a very long time ago.  I remember really liking it, though, and it only took a quick glance at the plot synopsis to flood back into my memory.

It is hilarious enough to see sexy Cary Grant portray a bumbling paleontologist (think Ross from Friends).  Enter Katharine Hepburn, the Queen of witty comedy, and you have got yourself a show!  Hepburn wants Grant badly (who wouldn't?) and pursues him, along with her leopard, Baby.  Now, usually films where a character continually messes things up for another character annoys me, but Katharine Hepburn couldn't get on my nerves if she tried.  This comedy is in the same style as The Awful Truth.  Everyone talks quickly (sometimes over each other) and comes up with some real zingers.

This film bombed upon release, but I really liked it.  Of course, it cannot compare in my book to movies like The Thin Man, but it is still up there with great comedies.  Also, it was in a language that I can speak!  Always makes things easier...

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

Hepburn was called "box office poison" after this film released and Howard Hawks was fired.

Grant modeled his performance after Harold Lloyd.

AFI's #88 film of all time.

First use of the word gay (meaning homosexual) in a film.

Trailer:


7 comments:

  1. Have you seen Monkey Business? It's Cary Grant and Marilyn Monroe. Cary Grant is basically being a hot mess again (I think a chemist this time!). Very funny...there is a monkey if that gives you any idea of how much of a screwball comedy it is :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha no I haven't but I will definitely check it out!

      Delete
  2. The lines and the plot here is so out there that it is a winner in my book. Of course it does not hurt that it features Hepburn and Grant.I have a feeling we are going to agree on a lot of Hepburn's movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I pretty much adore anything that she's involved in.

      Delete
  3. I watched this last night...it's the funniest thing I've seen in ages. I was killing myself laughing...

    I really love Cary Grant so I was looking forward to it anyway but the last time I watched him with Katherine Hepburn was The Philadelphia Story which I just hated (I was quite upset about it as I couldn't wait for that one as I'm a fan of her too and I love James Stewart). So I was worried I would have a repeat of that but this was just great.

    Also I just realised I found one we both liked!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of those films where the guy gets the gal (actually, it was more that the gal got the guy), the credits role and I walk away thinking "That relationship will never last..."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! Why did you hate the Philadelphia Story? And Dessie, thanks to you, I know think that about 70% of the films I watch!

    ReplyDelete