Thursday, June 9, 2011

25. Seven Chances

Seven Chances

Ah, Buster Keaton, you have the power to make everything right again.  After pouting for awhile about how bad the last film was, I welcomed a comedy with open arms and I believe that this is one of the best Keatons we have seen up to this point.

When you watch this movie, it plays out just like a comedy you might see today.  Keaton will inherit bucket loads of money if he marries someone on the same day he learns about the stipulation.  Buster asks Mary, the woman he already loves, to marry him and she says yes.  However, he makes the mistake of telling her about it and chaos ensues.  I don't know if this is one of those women-are-hard-to-understand moments because I would have the exact same reaction if I were her.  Of course, he is Buster Keaton and he does have a lot of money so maybe I would end up like one of women pictured above.

This does not have the same amount of daring stunts we are used to but like all Keaton films, it is modern and hilarious.  I almost spit out my drink when the wanted ad for a bride came on the screen.  I frantically checked, and there are more Keaton films to come so I do not have to say goodbye just yet.  Thank goodness!

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

There was some light racism.  The sad thing is I am kind of getting used to it in older films.  It still depresses me everytime I see it though.

I have been reading about the movie and apparently there is a remake called The Bachelor.  It is supposed to be simply awful, which means I will probably watch it just to get upset.

This was Keaton's least favorite movie of his.  Don't be so hard on yourself BustKeat!

Available on Netflix Instant or YouTube:

2 comments:

  1. I think this one is my favorite Keaton and I am so happy you liked it. My favorite scene is the glance he sends the hat lady and the subtle shake of her head. So eldgant and so funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember that bit! But I definitely liked this one! A possible revisit.

      Delete