Tuesday, May 12, 2015

533. Get Carter

Get Carter
1972
Directed by Mike Hodges










This doesn't seem to happen a lot with seventies movies, but I really feel like this film could have been released yesterday.  A young man searches for the truth behind his brother's murder?  I could have sworn I saw a Harrison Ford or Tom Cruise movie with that exact same premise.

There are, of course, things that set this movie apart. For one thing, it is not just a hot man running.  Michael Caine brings something deeper to the role.  He is actually quite frightening at times.  There are also darker twists that I am not sure would fly with modern audiences.  I felt the same with Chinatown.

Not really my style and if I am going to watch a British guy beat up criminals, I would rather it be James Bond.  Still, any Caine film is worth a watch.

RATING: ***--

Interesting Facts:

A six-fingered man can be seen sitting at the bar.

Based on the life of real life gangster Jack Carter.

Remade with the lead role being cast to Sylvester Stallone.  I am sure he succeeded in bringing the quiet dignity to the part, just like Caine.




5 comments:

  1. Good morning Amanda..
    Good to see you again.. but also, for the first time in ages, a film that creates a noteable emotion either way. (There have been far too many " well it was Ok - ish, I guess")
    I really rate this one. Perhaps you can tell the careful use of words there.. I'm not sure if I 'like' it or not.. but it's a great film I have watched a few times.
    I know the area it is set in quite well .. I lived over there for a while. All that industrial wasteland has been cleaned up beyond all recognition - the slag heaps landscaped, the beaches all nice and clean. no-one has any jobs of course, as the mines are all shut of course...
    A lot of Brits care very much for this film .. to the extent that .. You remember the bit where someone is thrown from a multi-story car park? That area of gateshead was recently re-developed, and the car-park due for demolition, and there was quite a campaign to have it 'listed' as culturaly important - due to it's pace in the film.
    I really like the slow, brooding, desparing Noir atmosphere and the shadow of doom that hangs over Carter. I don't like the brutishness and misogyny .. but you have to take that in Noirs as part of the brew. Decidedly one of Cain's greatest roles.
    For some reason I still don't understand, I did inflict the dreadful remake on myself once and shuddered all the way through. Absolutly dire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! We have had a lot of okayish movies lately. And you watched the remake?? Do you hate yourself?

      Delete
  2. I watched this movie last week, and have finally decided on my reaction. Hated it. I am not a big fan of Michael Caine, so that may have influenced my final decision, but don't like seeing women used and abused, and I guess I couldn't get past that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "any Caine film is worth a watch" - you obviously haven't seen Jaws: The Revenge

    ReplyDelete
  4. Understandable Diana. Oh good point Brendan. I did start watching that one but of course had to turn it off. I must have blocked it out.

    ReplyDelete