Sunday, May 6, 2012

151. Now, Voyager

Now, Voyager
1942
Directed by Irving Rapper

I LOVE MAKEOVER MOVIES!

The girly girl in me absolutely adored this movie; the film critic in me was only mildly impressed.  I felt like this whole movie should have been to the song "Coming Out".  Bette Davis gets an awesome makeover, both on the inside and out.


Bette Davis is always an amazing actress and this role seemed to be meant for her.  The suffocating mother is played to perfection as well.  This film is like Legally Blonde.  I am not sure if it is for men as well but it is damn entertaining for me.

RATING: *****



Interesting Facts:


People went crazy when Paul Henreid lit two cigarettes at once.  That is pretty sexy.


Close adaptation of the novel.

Bette Davis thought the score interrupted her performance.

5 comments:

  1. I want to see this movie after reading what you wrote here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is an awesome makeover, but overacted. Bette Davis didn't do anything half and this one could have done with a bit more subtlety.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where do you stand on the Davis/Crawford rivalry?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You mean inflated ego versus inflated ego? I don't like but I think Crawford was the better actor. Mildred Pierce is still one on the best noir around largely thanks to her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I generally think so too but Davis really shined more in What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? But I guess her role allowed her to give a better performance.

      Delete