Wednesday, February 15, 2012

132. His Girl Friday

His Girl Friday
1940
Directed by Howard Hawks

Ah, the 40s.  To be honest, I am a bit nervous.  Some huge snores come out of the forties even though some of my favorites are here as well.  I don't think anything can beat 1930s cinema, though.


I first saw this film during a family vacation in Maryland.  It brings back great memories of laughing hard with my family all around me.  My sister and I still use the line "I've got a hot lead on a cool blond!".  It rarely makes sense when you say it but it is still a lot of fun.


This movie plays out like a farce; most of the acts committed by the characters are ridiculous.  The jokes fly thick and fast, even faster than in Bringing Up Baby.  I love the special memories associated with certain films.  Make one with this movie by watching it with your family!


RATING: ****-


Interesting Facts:


This is one of those films that has tons of entertaining trivia.  Click here to read all about it (little bit of newspaper humor).


Trailer:

5 comments:

  1. One of my favorites! I love women in 40's films going toe to toe with the men! I look forward to much more of that in this decade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only problem here is that the dialogue is almost too fast. It is dizzying. But I cannot help love the crazy story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too Rachel! Yeah, I like the fast dialogue but I can see why others might think it is obnoxious. I hear that complaint a lot about Gilmore Girls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a bit too fast for me at times, I confess. Bad ears and laptop speakers can't have helped.

    This is now the second time I've seen Grant mention his real name (Archie Leach) in a list film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think you're meant to get everything at once, which is why rewatches are so fun.

      Delete