Wednesday, February 15, 2012

130. La Regle du Jeu

La Regle du Jeu
The Rules of the Game
1939
Directed by Jean Renoir

I am falling in love with French films.  I don't know who I love more: Jean Renoir or Jean Gabin.  Jean Renoir shows himself to be a competent actor as well as a director and writer in this movie.  Of course, Jean Gabin is really cute and charming.  DON'T MAKE ME CHOOSE!!!!

Sorry, I am pretty wound up today.  This was a great movie and one that I knew I would love from the very beginning.  The story centers on a bunch of different characters who are entangled in each other's lives through various connections.  It reminded me of those modern romantic comedies like He's Just Not That Into You (shut up; that was a great film).  It also contained a few comments on French society which led to it being banned from France. I recently read an amazing novel, The Elegance of the Hedgehog, which carried a similar message about the French bourgeoisie.  Check it out!

Anyway, this has movie as been referred to as the birth of modern cinema (alongside Citizen Kane).  I don't think I would go that far, but it certainly was witty and entertaining.



RATING: ****-


Interesting Facts:


People hated this film when it first came out.  One disgruntled audience member even tried to light the theater that was playing it on fire.  I felt the same way whenever I saw Valentine's Day.


The first production of Les Nouvelles Editions Francaises which was a company that Jean Renoir and his nephew started after the success of La Grand Illusion.

Trailer:




2 comments:

  1. Renoir was a very clever director an this is the proof. He is also on the right side of being too clever, which you cannot say about all French directors. If Renoir had been able to keep it up after the war I would have placed my money on Renoir, but then, Gavin also did not surface well after the war.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had forgotten all about him. Good points.

    ReplyDelete