Thursday, March 1, 2012

135. The Philadelphia Story

The Philadelphia Story
1940
Directed by George Cukor

I have had to write a few movie posts today and I am getting tired.  So here is the lowdown on the story: Katharine Hepburn is a spoiled rich girl, some random guy is her fiancee, Cary Grant is her ex husband, and Jimmy Stewart is the journalist covering her wedding.



Having three such talented actors is truly a delight no matter what is coming out of their mouth.  Thankfully, the movie is really witty and funny.  I prefer the musical version, High Society.  Still, this film is really entertaining and definitely worth a watch.

RATING: ****-



Interesting Facts:


Katharine Hepburn wanted Spencer Tracy and Clark Gable to plain the main male roles.


Jimmy Stewart won the Best Actor Award.  The word "Philadelphia" was misspelled on his Oscar.

Trailer:


4 comments:

  1. I recently reviewed High Society and found that I preferred Philadelphia Story. High Society has great music, but Philadelphia Story has real zing and three of the best actors ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so hard to choose. Both have such great casts.

      Delete
  2. I found that about half an hour in, once I stopped treating this as a screwball comedy where I'm supposed to do no more than laugh at obnoxious behaviour, I started to really enjoy this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forget about this film a lot as I often forgo it for High Society. Need to remember this...

      Delete