Thursday, March 11, 2021

1227. What Time Is It There?

What Time Is It There?
2001
Directed by Tsai Ming-liang












Today we check off another one which required internet acrobatics to obtain with English subtitles. This might have been one of the most boring films we've had on the List, although I'm cognizant that there is some heavy competition in that area.

Hsiao-kang is a street vendor who sells watches in Taipei, and Shiang-chyi is a young woman taking a trip to Paris. They meet briefly and afterward, Hsiao-kang wants to change every clock he sees to Paris time. I don't know how I thought they changed the time on those big clocks on buildings, but that wasn't it. Oh, and he is also coping with the death of his father, I guess. 

Doesn't this director realize that taking long stationary shots of people slowly doing things is Ozu's thing? Maybe it was supposed to be a loving homage. Anyway, I was basically hobbled Annie Wilkes-style in December, and I still move faster than these characters. 

I actually find the idea that a character would be compelled to change all the clocks he sees, for whatever reason, very interesting. But the film does everything it can to make the movie as dull as possible.

RATING: **---

Interesting Facts:

Jean-Pierre Leaud, the lead actor in 400 Blows, has a brief cameo in this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment