Thursday, March 4, 2021

1221. Lost in Translation

Lost in Translation
2003
Directed by Sofia Coppola












I saved this movie for the tail end of the project, because I was really excited to see it, and I knew the end of the List might be tough going. Turns out I was right to happily anticipate this film. Hopefully, I'm wrong about how excruciating these next ten or so watches might be.

Bob Harris is a fading movie star who is in Tokyo to promote Suntory whiskey. He is in the midst of a midlife crisis, and at odds with his wife and kids because of his frequent absences. Charlotte is a young American woman and college graduate who has followed her photographer husband to Japan. Both find themselves at a crossroads in their lives, and meet one night at the hotel bar. They are drawn to each other, although neither seems sure about how far they are willing to go with the attraction.

Traveling is disorienting, or at least, I remember it being disorienting from when we were allowed to travel. And meeting someone who has equally poor footing can feel completely magical. So it was interesting seeing a film portray that, and I've always admired Sophia Coppola's style.

The movie would never have worked if Bill Murray and ScarJo had no chemistry, but they really clicked here. Well worth the wait.

RATING: *****

Interesting Facts:
 
Bill Murray's favorite movie he's been in.

Sofia Coppola based the characters of Charlotte and John on herself and her then husband Spike Jonze.

Murray's only Oscar nominated performance.


1 comment:

  1. Loved the movie.
    In 2013 I visited the hotel in Tokyo and the very bar where they sat and where Bob picked up the jazz singer. Only the jazz band was much better when I was there. What a view across the city! I did a post on that back then if you look up my review on Lost in Translation.

    ReplyDelete