Wednesday, March 10, 2021

1226. Lamerica

Lamerica
1994
Directed by Gianni Amelio













Every time I locate one of the remaining titles, I feel I should receive hefty praise. These are hard to track down, dammit. It's like Zero Dark Thirty, and I'm Jessica Chastain. The non English films are particularly hard to track down, because I have to make sure I can get a subtitle track as well. Anyway, onto the actual act of watching the film.

Gino is a young Sicilian involved in a scam shoe company that ostensibly promises to give every Albanian a pair of quality shoes. Gino and his boss try to find "a man of straw," somebody to do what they say and be the fake chairman of the company. They choose Spiro as their stooge, but Gino might have bitten off a bit more than he could chew. 

I get crankier about a film being awarded a "must see" crown when I had to go to so much trouble to watch it. I even read on the source of All That Is True, Reddit, that Lamerica was added to the List to correct a previous printing error which put Dear Diary in the wrong year. But it was still a fairly interesting watch. Gino represents a new Italy that Spiro doesn't know how to navigate, having only known fascism and poverty.

Oh yes, and that hefty praise I mentioned before? It will need to increase with each entry, as they just keep getting harder to find.

RATING: ***--

Interesting Facts:

Did you know that platypuses sweat milk since they don't have teats? Well, I couldn't find anything on this movie. 


No comments:

Post a Comment