Thursday, February 17, 2022

1234. The Vast of Night

The Vast of Night
2019
Directed by Andrew Patterson








I thought I had escaped from this life. I settled down to a nice boring day job, married a boring woman who is always folding laundry, and had boring suburban kids. Then, one day, while taking the out the trash after dinner, I see on the news that my arch nemesis is blowing up banks again. I must once again don my cape and face the demons I thought I had left in my past. 

In other words, I couldn't resist coming back here for the new edition. I am pleased with the some of the removals (no more Avengers, hurray!) and haven't seen any of the new additions. But I'm game for ten new entries. Now that I am done with albums and movies, I've been all about my book list lately and I'm looking to stray from the marriage.

In 1950s New Mexico, Everett and his friend Fay test out Fay's new tape recorder before the male athlete's basketball get-together. The film does a good job endearing us to the characters. Most teenagers portrayed in movies are completely insufferable, so this is commendable. Everett starts his shift at the WOTW radio station, but is interrupted by a mysterious audio signal. Everett puts out the signal to his listeners to see if they have any answers. Some do.

Twilight Zone fans (Zoners?) will appreciate the homage to their soul reason for existence. Even though I was never a huge Zoner, I still found this to be a charming, nostalgic hidden gem. Science fiction movies have a bad habit of cutting away at the most interesting part. Okay, it's guilty of that somewhat too, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

RATING: ***--

Interesting Facts:

Title is taken from a line in the Tempest.

9 comments:

  1. Ah, Meeesterrr Amanda, I was expecting you.
    Or something like that
    Gosh, I thought your entire blog had vanished.
    I wonder if any of our regulars are still with us?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy to see you again! I will watch this as I think it sounds...charming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it's good to be back, even for a little while.

      Delete
    2. Delightful that you're still with us

      I haven't got around to any list movies for a while and was wondering whether I should be coming here again next time I did if it was all empty

      Delete
    3. Unknown? Why am I unknown? Has it really been so long?

      Dessie here

      Delete
    4. Aw, you should be coming back to my blog for my wise words, no matter how many followers I have! But my followers are pretty cool too.

      Delete
    5. Quite right, all joking aside.

      You have a 1,001 Books blog, right? I assume that must include Don Quioxote. I must go and have a look. Reading it now and it seems . . . well, that's a matter for the books blog.

      Delete