Wednesday, February 23, 2022

1235. The Assistant

The Assistant
2019
Directed by Kitty Green








It hurt my heart to see Mr. Darcy behave in this way. It was pretty tough to sit through, and not just because my number one literary crush portrayed a cog in the misogyny machine, but because it hit a little too close to home. I am sure this is a feeling shared by most women who watch this.

The movie follows Jane's work day from start to finish, as she is painfully and systematically degraded by the men in the office. Some of her coworkers are outright tools, while others are sneakier about their douchebaggery. But each man probably goes to bed that night thinking he helped her in some way.

The director did an excellent job of capturing moments of sexism throughout the day, the moments that do not manifest itself into two men leering at a woman while she bends over the water cooler like in the sexual harassment training videos. Julia Garner gave a phenomenal performance as a woman who is slowly being drained of life. Most of us have experience having that job feels like it is denigrating you into nothing.

So two movies in, and the List is really bumming me out again. I'm back!

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

The drugs Jane puts in the storage box are for erectile dysfunction. 

1 comment:

  1. Julia Garner is a phenomenal actor who shines in everything I have ever seen her in. Since I have lived thru this experience already, I may not want to watch it, but maybe....

    ReplyDelete