Tuesday, February 2, 2021

1195. Toni Erdmann

Toni Erdmann
2016
Directed by Maren Ade








I have been complaining lately about the lack of comedies on this List. This is considered a comedy/drama, but I just read that the director doesn't think it's a comedy, and that she aimed to make it as sad and serious as possible. So it's a comedy, List stylez.

Ines works as a business consultant in the oil industry, and doesn't have much time for her family or a personal life. I know this sounds like the beginning of a romantic comedy, but it's not. Instead, the movie follows her relationship with her father, who decides to reconnect with her after years of semi-estrangement. After several failed attempts at connecting with Ines, her father decides to present himself as Toni Erdmann, and naturally Ines recognizes him immediately. However, she chooses not to let on, and in the course of doing so starts to let her hair down.

So the comedy here didn't really translate for me. I don't find pranks that amusing and if somebody ever jumped out on me from a closet when I thought I was alone, I would still be in the ICU. But as the director indicated, the comedy isn't really the focus of the movie. Instead, the relationship between Ines and her father takes center stage. It's really interesting watching the ripple effect of their relationship and how it influences other aspects of their lives in very strange ways.

And the naked party was strangely memorable.

RATING: ***--


Interesting Facts:

120 hours of footage was shot.

Maren Ade would typically do 20-30 takes of each shot, but sometimes took up to 60 to get it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment