Monday, January 18, 2021

1182. Rosetta

Rosetta
1999
Directed by Luc and Jean-Pierre Dardenne












Just one more movie before we hit the prestigious "50 movies left" milestone. It's satisfying to still feel like I am accomplishing something, even when I am immobile and the movie sucks.

Rosetta is desperate to secure a job to support herself and her alcoholic mother. This requires throwing many tantrums and betraying friendships, all without the presence of a proper score. 

So I guess this isn't the most thorough summary, but the main character annoyed me so much that I don't feel like going into further detail than that. I kind of admire the film for making no effort to make Rosetta likable; it reminded of Fish Tank in that way. This makes the social stratification more prominent. But that didn't make it easy or fun to watch. 

Not terribly offensive, but not very memorable either.

RATING: **---

Interesting Facts:

Rosetta did not actually inspire "Rosetta's Law"; it was already a law when the film was made.

No comments:

Post a Comment