Saturday, April 25, 2015

530. Klute

Klute
1971
Directed by Alan Pakula













I had this checked off in my Book, but had absolutely no memory of it.  I must have been in some sort of stupor when I crossed it out.  Out of politeness, let's pretend we all don't know exactly what kind of "haze" I must have been in when I did this.  Anyway, I am glad I finally got to watch this, although I can't say my opinion of Donald Sutherland has not changed.

Donald Sutherland plays Klute, a private detective who is hired to find the missing Tom Gruneman.  The only lead is a call girl, played by Jane Fonda, who has been receiving obscene letters from Gruneman.  Sutherland seems even more afraid of Fonda's sexuality than he is of making an expression.

Fonda's performance is absolutely incredible.  Her character is fascinating.  A part of her wants to quit prostitution, but it seems like she actually really enjoys it.  I was a little disappointed by the ending. I mean did the villain really start monologuing?  That always seems like a rather lazy plot device to me.

Still, worth watching just to see Jane Fonda ad-lib her character's therapy sessions.

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

Fonda hung out with pimps and prostitutes to prepare for the role.  When no pimp offered to "represent" her, she became convinced that she was too undesirable for the part.  Classic insecure girl move.  Or as I call it "The Amanda".

Barbra Streisand turned down the role of Bree.

The psychiatrist was originally played by a male but Fonda was convinced that her character would never open up to a man, so the therapist was changed to a female.








1 comment:

  1. Klute also has a wonderful film noir texture that makes it pure bliss to watch for an old noir fan like me.
    Seriously, I could not imagine Streisand as Bree...

    ReplyDelete