Saturday, December 1, 2012

246. Ikiru

Ikiru
To Live
1952
Directed by Akira Kurosawa










Japanese movies have completely blown me away.  Each one I watch is incredibly beautiful, emotional, and entertaining.  Granted, this one was a bit too sappy for me but it is still awesome!

This film is about a boring government worker who discovers that he has stomach cancer.  He then wants to make a difference in the world before he dies but realizes that it is actually almost impossible to change the world by yourself.

This is truly one of the most depressing movies I have ever seen.  It didn't make me cry or want to slash my wrists, but it certainly stayed with me for a couple weeks.  Hard to describe but really beautiful; Kurosawa is definitely one of the best directors of all time.

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

Kanji Wantanabe was originally supposed to be a gangster and not a government bureaucrat.

1 comment:

  1. I loved this movie. I was immediately into it. It had such an interesting sense of humor for such a depressing theme. My favorite scene is the one when the are discussing mean nicknames for their coworkers. The fact that it was so great to see the main character laugh really says something about how emotionally involved I was.

    ReplyDelete