Sunday, April 24, 2016

890. Toy Story

Toy Story
1995
Directed by John Lasseter








If Joss Whedon is involved in a project, it is pretty much guaranteed that I am going to praise it.  While this was never a favorite growing up (I like my animated movies to have musical numbers), it is certainly a movie everyone should see before they die.

In the Toy Story universe, toys are sentient beings who only pretend to be lifeless in the company of humans.  This logic has some alarming implications, but since it is a children's movie, we can just go with it.  Six year old Andy's favorite toy is Woody, a pull string cowboy.  On his birthday, Andy receives Buzz Lightyear, a flashy action figure who isn't even aware that he is a toy (but then, why does he freeze whenever a human comes into the room?).  Buzz becomes Andy's favorite, sparking Woody's jealousy.

I have seen any of the Toy Story sequels, but I hear they are quite good.  My boyfriend told me that Toy Story 3 made him cry, which is the kind of manly anecdote that is really attractive.  In any case, I enjoyed this; the voice acting really brought the characters to life.  I never thought I would be praising Tim Allen, but there you go.

I am sure I am not the first person to think this, but I saw this film as kind of a metaphor for Hollywood.   Westerns are now considered outdated and today people just want ostentatious action movies.  Another movie that shouldn't be dismissed as a kids only film.

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

Billy Crystal turned down the offer to voice Buzz Lightyear.  He later said it was the biggest mistake of his career.

Joss Whedon created the character of Rex.

No comments:

Post a Comment